So we heard horror stories about pricing in Iceland. My mum budgeted 200 EUR per day for 3 of us. And yes, restaurants are generally very expensive but you can be on the budget if shopping in supermarkets like Bonus!
Below are sample prices from Bonus supermarket – July 2018:
- Beef burgers – pack of 2 – 498 ISK – 4.02 EUR
- Cherry tomatoes – 250gr – 398 ISK – 3.22 EUR
- Cucumber – 350gr – 167 ISK – 1.35 EUR
- Small Apple Juice 200ml – 39 ISK – 0.31 EUR
- Large Apple Juice 1L – 119 ISK – 0.96 EUR
- Wasabi peanuts – 149 ISK – 1.20 EUR
- Jaffa cakes 300gr – 189 ISK – 1.52 EUR
- Pringles 165gr – 157 ISK – 1.27 EUR
One of the biggest disappointments was Vogafjos restaurant at Myvatn lake. This is a famous restaurant in the region – they have their own cows and lamb. We were expecting good selection of beef dishes and were disappointed that they only served burgers. Having read reviews of burgers we ordered 2 (3.960ISK each) as well as homemade mozzarella with bread (2450 ISK) for starters and smoked fish with homemade bread (1800 ISK) for my mum. For drink we had 3 beers ( 2x 0.5 = 1150 ISK each and 1x 0.33 = 950 ISK). Total bill come at 15.420 ISK!!! (125 EUR). Burgers were good but they were not in the top 5 we have ever had. So for the price of this one meal we could have bought 31 packs of burgers from Bonus (which we grilled at home and they were delish!).